Sunday, June 5, 2011

A Special Visitor At My House: A Hummingbird!


This morning as I watered and weeded my vegetable and herb garden, I enjoyed the chorus of birds and the lovely morning after a night rain. Suddenly I thought I heard a humming sound from a flowerpot on my nearby deck. With fingers crossed, I quietly crept up the steps and guess what I discovered? A very lively Ruby Throated Hummingbird!  


As satisfying as witnessing a rainbow, I sat down and watched him browse my flowers for a good 10 minutes.  Suddenly, just as quickly as he was discovered, he whizzed off into the trees. I am hopeful that the tiny but mighty bird will be back now that he knows a flower buffet can be found at my house!


Follow this link to Archimedes Notebook to think a bit more about hummingbirds.  Then visit Cornell University's Bird site to learn more about hummingbirds, listen to audio clips, and to watch a few short videos. You can also head over to Journey North and enjoy the Hummingbird information that we used during the school year too. Happy Reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment